US admits it lacks evidence to convict $10m Hafiz Saeed: Telegraph
The United States has admitted it lacks evidence to convict the Hafiz Saeed of terrorism despite slapping a $10m (£6.3 million) bounty on his head for his capture and conviction, Daily Telegraph reported Thursday. The decision to name Saeed, founder of Lashkar-e-Taiba, on the US State Department’s wanted list has provoked an angry reaction in Pakistan where even liberal commentators fear Washington is acting without proof in order to cosy up to arch-rival India. At a regular briefing, Mark Toner, State Department spokesman, was forced to clarify its position, pointing out the reward was for evidence that could be used to secure a conviction. “We all know where he is. Every journalist in Pakistan and in the region knows how to find him. But we’re looking for information that can be usable to convict him in a court of law,” he said. However, he admitted that so far the US lacked proof that would withstand judicial scrutiny “There is information, there is intelligence that is not necessarily usable in a court of law,” he said. Saeed was arrested after the 2008 Mumbai attacks, which killed 166 people.